By: Ana Margarita Olar| Executivechronicles.com
Many people nowadays let their goals and achievements to define their happiness. But once a goal is achieved, another one is created and the tendency is they’ll never be happy. Here are some simple things you can do to be happy:
- Choose to be happy.
Let not the situation or status in life define your happiness. It is your own choice. You can choose to be really happy despite the negative things that happen in your life. Yes, you can grieve over a loss, cry when you have to, feel guilty about your mistakes, and be angry when things didn’t go exactly as you planned. But be sure that these are only INITIAL EMOTIONS. You have to move on and choose to be happy after a while. You are the only one who can define your own happiness.
- Have a self-reflection at the end of each day.
It is so easy to fall into a boring routine because of our daily commitments and duties. And at the end of each day, we are tired, miserable and sad. Well, it’s time for a change. Make it a habit of looking at you in the mirror and reflecting on the simple things you should be grateful and be happy about. You have your family, the comfort of your home, your job, your past achievement, and the worst things that you’ve been able to surpass. Use these thoughts to ignite the happiness in you.
- Be good to yourself.
Here’s a list on how to be nicer to ourselves:
- Surpass your guilt and forgive yourself. Learn from your mistakes and move on.
- Do not intoxicate yourself with negative people. As a human being, we are vulnerable in absorbing the negativity of people around us. If you can, stay away from this kind of people and surround yourself with the ones that can inspire and motivate you.
- Pay attention to your health. Exercise regularly, eat healthy, have enough rest and sleep. All of these are “health jargons” but they do contribute in your wellness and happiness.
- Try something new once in a while.
One thing that keeps us from being truly happy is our own judgment of ourselves. We limit ourselves on what we can and what we cannot do; what we can and what we cannot achieve. So once in a while try something that you think you’re not good at. Sing, dance, paint, write a poem, write a blog, sell something or try crazy things like bungee jumping, skydiving, riding an air balloon. It may be true that we should know our limitations, but sometimes we should dare ourselves to go out of our comfort zone to find our happiness.
Happiness within ourselves doesn’t only benefit us physically. It also helps to strengthen relationships, increase self-worth, enhances motivation, which in turn helps us to achieve our personal and professional goals in life.