Trade Travel Journal| Tanzania Safari: Special Places To See | Tanzania is the land of Kilimanjaro, one of the highest and most impressive mountains in the world. It is the land of the Serengeti, a gigantic nature reserve with extensive savannas and forests. The land of wildlife and the beautiful beaches of Zanzibar.
All absolute must-see when you travel to Tanzania. But there is more, much more even. These three places may be less known, but that makes them even more fun. Discover here the real Tanzania in these 3 special and beautiful places!
- Mikumi National Park
Mikumi National Park is the third-largest national park in Tanzania. From Dar es Salaam – the former capital of the country – you can drive there in about six hours. Even when you still drive on the highway you pass the first wild animals. Monkeys, impalas, elephants, and giraffes can all be spotted before you enter.
Mikumi National Park is a special park because you can walk among the wild animals here. For example, elephants just walk around your house in the evening. In a short afternoon tour through the park, you already see a lot of wild animals, you hardly have to look for them. In other parks, the safari often goes after the animals, but that is not necessary here and that makes it so special.
Since wildlife such as lions and hippos are more active in the morning, it is worth getting out of bed here early. Then the chance is much greater than you see them. The highlight of the safari by Mikumi is spotting wild lionesses.
The town of Bagamoyo is located just north of Dar’es Salaam on the coast and is highly recommended to visit. Take a day or a half-day for that. It used to be a real trading place, now it is a beautiful fishing village. Bagamoyo played an important role in the history of Tanzania and you can learn more about it in the church and the museum.
The fish market of Bagamoyo is also nice. Here you also buy fresh fish as a tourist that you can take to the chef of your stay. He can undoubtedly make a delicious meal with it.
Also nice: the small shops along the side of the road and in the village. There you will find some nice things for your home!
Dar es Salaam
And visit Dar es Salaam is also an absolute must-see. Take the tuk-tuk to drive through it because you will be amazed. Life here takes place entirely on the street, all shops can be found on the side of the road. Dar es Salaam is also a busy city, everywhere you look you see buses driving and there is a lot of life in the brewery.
Also walk to the water, where you will see the colorful fishing boats.
Useful Tanzania tips
- Also, traveling to Tanzania? Then this might be useful to know before you leave!
- It is really warm all year round. Prepare well for that (and drink a lot of water)
- Don’t go on the road at night (or at least not unaccompanied, that’s not so safe)
- Bring binoculars, you will enjoy them!
- Also, pack anti-mosquito stuff because there are a few mosquitoes in Tanzania 😉
- Camera with a good lens for distance is also useful because some animals can only be seen from afar
- Tasting: local dishes, the stews are delicious!
- How long do you have to go? 10 days is enough to make some nice safaris, but if you want to get to know Tanzania, take a few weeks out.